Sunday, March 30, 2014

Looking Ahead: 'Legends of Oz'

In a little over a month, Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return will make its debut in theaters nationwide.



As some of our readers know, I have been following this project for years... since 2007, actually.

I would constantly be searching through the internet, looking for new information on the film. I would tell all of my friends in 4th grade about this awesome new movie that was being made- letting people borrow my copy of Roger Baum's Dorothy of Oz, showing off my so-called 'fan-art,' getting excited when one of the producers emailed me back, etc.

I feel a bit nostalgic when I see Legends of Oz toys at Toys R Us, when a commercial comes on TV, or when I see a poster up at the movie theater, because to me, this film represents my passion for Oz and film-making in general. It was so much fun dreaming about what the film would look like and be like. I remember thinking to my eight-year old self, "I want to make movies like this. I want to be a part of this."


I would constantly email people involved in the film, telling them who I thought should be cast, and how it should be released. It was interesting seeing the project evolve even just from what was on the internet; from storyboards, to the casting process, to animation tests, to concept art, and now the final product.


I've gotten into some trouble through all of my information-hunting antics, and I haven't always had the most positive things to say about the film, but the eight-year old in me is still rooting for this project, and though I'm not going to the red carpet premiere, I will be at my local movie theater opening day. And probably a few times after that.

Legends of Oz opens in theaters in the U.S. on May 9.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the spirit! This shows true maturity.

Jared said...

I had an idea that letting Angelo on the blog would help his writing improve and this was just proof of it. I was very impressed by the piece he came up with and how he even admitted his own criticisms.