Saturday, July 12, 2008

Who's it for?

Well, I must sadly admit that I did not fulfill one of my New Year's Resolutions. I wanted to attend an Oz convention, specifically the Winkie Convention, but the main part of it happened today in California, and I am here in Missouri. (I do know Aaron Pacentine went...)

It has come to my attention that some of us young "movers and shakers" in the online Oz community, have been criticized to be simply promoting ourselves. I can't speak for everyone in the Oz community, but I know quite a few will agree with what I am about to state for myself.

A lot of the work I've done for Oz projects has made me learn many skills that come in handy. I'm a better sound and video editor because of Wonders (if you want to criticize any quality, I simply had to work with what I had), my blogging has helped hone my writing skills, I've learned a lot about online etiquette from posting at the IWOC Forums, I've even learned how to run websites myself.

Now, I am rather active online, I share a lot of opinions and information, and I've tried to open a lot of options for people to express themselves in Ozzy ways. May I add, that even when I sold Oz items, I have never made a profit from my Oz enthusiasm. (I've even footed international shipping asking for nothing in return.)

Now, I'm not bragging at all. Everything I've done online with Oz is to either share information or to stimulate activity in the Oz community, even if it's as cheap to give someone a chuckle. I'm very proud of the works I've done, even more pleased when I see someone else undertake their own project. (Which is why so many links are on the sidebar on the home page of my blog.)

I know I'm not alone in these endeavors, but I will not name any names. All I can say I'm glad to have communicated and even worked with some of these people. Oz rides on the shoulders of it's fans: let's keep it going, folks.

1 comment:

F. Douglas Wall said...

I would have liked to go to Winkie this year, too. And I live in California. It ultimately came down to money, and not enough of it.