Friday, June 20, 2008

Never thought I'd do it...

But I've actually bought a copy of Gregory Maguire's Wicked...

I also turned 22 on Tuesday. (And my little brother was visiting, so the two of us went to see the second Narnia movie twice.)

If you haven't quite guessed, the next "Wonders" episode will cover "Wicked," then the next episode will cover pretty much the last miscellany of the past 30 years.

And if you're wondering why I haven't blogged much, or made any new videos: I've had a change in my work schedule, and you have to remember that I have never made one red cent off of my Oz enthusiasm (yep, just being a fan here), so, just like practically every other Oz fan, sometimes Oz has to take a back seat to your real life.

Though, sometimes, you wonder... This year, we've had some odd weather: rainstorms, tornados, hailstorms (get off the balcony), you name it. And I can't help but think: a storm is coming...

2 comments:

Eric said...

Can I share my Wicked experience? After being burned by post-modern Oz reinterpretations like A Barnstormer in Oz and Was, I went into Wicked skeptically. I wasn't expecting to like it. But even though it clearly wasn't Baum's Oz, I found myself thoroughly enjoying it anyway. I've since also listened to the audiobook, bought a second copy (the paperback with pictures from the show), and met Gregory Maguire at a signing. I've also bought and read Son of a Witch which, if anything, is better—or at least was an even more enjoyable read. And yes, I'm eagerly looking forward to the third book, A Lion Among Men. So if you can go in with an open mind and accept it as a story, and not necessarily an Oz story, you may surprise yourself and like it. Just don't go in expecting the play, either. The difference between the book and the play is like the difference between Baum's book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the MGM movie The Wizard of Oz.

Jay said...

Yes, Eric, you can share your experiences here. Goodness knows I've done it on your blog...

I have read "Wicked" before, but didn't quite enjoy it. I actually didn't buy this copy for reading, but I probably will. I did enjoy "Son of a Witch," though.

WOW! It's storming again!