Friday, February 24, 2012

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

From all the comments Eloise McGraw got about this book, I assumed it was a fan favorite.

Mara, Daughter of the Nile was published in 1953 and is one of three books Eloise McGraw wrote that took place in ancient Egypt. (And if you're wondering, no, that's not the first edition cover. That's my copy.)

Mara is a slave girl suddenly bought from her old master and made a spy for the new queen of Egypt. However, on her journey, she meets the young Sheftu and he convinces her to spy for him and Thutmose III, the step-brother of the queen who, Sheftu and a large band of Egyptians feel, should be the Pharaoh.

After settling into the court of Queen Hatshepsut, serving Thutmose's bride-to-be Inanni (who soon befriends Mara), Mara decides to become a double spy. But as she gets tangled up in her spying, she falls in love with Sheftu. But soon Mara's double spying is discovered and her life is at stake!

To be honest, this proved slow reading for me. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, but it didn't really pick up until that part I left off at there in my summary. Or perhaps I'm not extremely fond of McGraw's earliest works. (I've yet to finish Moccasin Trail.) It's a good story and all, but it was just slow reading for me, and I'm normally a voracious reader.

No comments: