Thursday, April 11, 2013

Acinad Goes To The Emerald City Of Oz

Here's another early publication by Chris Dulabone, one I didn't expect to get. I found it on eBay.

Chris had referred to this book in some of the books I'd read of his, tongue-in-cheek. All I knew was that Acinad Goes to the Emerald City of Oz introduced Acinad, Ruggedo's brother.

What I didn't expect was the authorship. I'd expected that Chris had written it, but it turns out it was the work of a group of fourth and fifth graders. The listed creators (writers and illustrators) include Candice Baca, Peter Dennedy, Danica Libutti, Naomi Maestas, Billy Sanchez, Randy Tappen and David Tolzman.

As such, expectations for a long, well-crafted Oz story went out the window.

Acinad the Nome has been turned into dust in the Deadly Desert, but when a freak tidal wave washes his remains into the Winkie Country, he is restored to his living form. He meets and is befriended by the Tin Woodman, and decides to find the magic diamond in the Emerald City. However, near the Emerald City, a Wicked Witch arrives and says she has the Hungry Tiger hostage and will boil him alive if she isn't given the magic diamond. However, Acinad has a plan to trick the Witch. Will it work?

Despite being written very simply, the story was very fun. When you consider it was written by very young Oz fans (with help from Chris), it's actually rather enjoyable.

So, Acinad Goes to the Emerald City of Oz, it's an offbeat Oz book, but a fun one. But it's also rather hard to find. Good luck!

3 comments:

rocketdave said...

My expectations for a well-crafted story would have gone out the window as soon as I viewed that cover. But a book that was collaborated on by a group of students sounds like an interesting project nonetheless.

Unknown said...

That's funny to see my book online. Still got my copy.

Unknown said...

It was an great project. We had fun with it.