Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Not-So-Silly Goose

I was looking around on Lulu, when I came across Marcus Mébès' storefront. He has many Oz and Baum books for sale on this Print-On-Demand site, reasonably priced for such books.

A new addition is a new edition of Father Goose: His Book, the book that made Baum and illustrator W.W. Denslow famous, and paved the way for Baum's most famous work The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

I've already ordered a copy. I once borrowed a second edition through interlibrary loan and carefully made black-and-white photocopies of it, which I still have, glued and taped together, but I of course wanted my own actual copy in color. There's been an edition out since 2004, but it only reprints the text. Despite what anyone thinks of Denslow's work, it made half of the book.

Marcus has four editions available, a paperback and a hardcover in black-and-white, and another paperback and hardcover in color. In addition, the color version is available as a free PDF download, which also makes it a satisfying e-book edition. Wanting a good edition, but still keeping my budget in mind, I ordered a color paperback.

1 comment:

James C. Wallace II said...

As always, Marcus provides an almost inexhaustible resource for Oz books, including many of his own, which are very good.
I would highly recommend anyone interested in Oz look at his store and do some business with him.

He aims to please... your aim would help.

James C. Wallace II