Thursday, July 05, 2007

No OZ in video rental store...

Hey, last night I wrote a very long MySpace (on my personal profile, not the Dorothy & Ozma profile) blog about where I think has happened to America. In one part, I was talking about sensuality in the media, and related the following story...

I was surprised to walk into a video rental store called "Family Video" to see so many movies that have strong sexual themes toward the front, but recent (and clean) family fare like The Chronicles of Narnia and Charlotte's Web were pushed so far to the back. And they didn't even seem to carry The Wizard of Oz. (For anyone who knows of my great fondness for L. Frank Baum, I am referring to the classic Judy Garland movie from 1939, though I couldn't find other versions of Baum's creation, either.) The thing is, people are buying and renting sexually explicit films over good, decent films. (You want to know how many eyebrows were raised at Yours Truly buying the latest DVD edition of The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh?) Shouldn't these films and TV shows be more restricted than they have been recently and the cleaner fare be encouraged?

EDIT: Visited "Family Video" again on 7/6/2007. Found the new 2-disc version of the MGM movie, Disney's Return to Oz, and The Muppet's Wizard of Oz. But still, for a place called "Family Video," non-family films mainly ran the gamut.

No comments: