Monday, May 19, 2008

Oily Oz

My father brought me a political cartoon in the newspaper, based on the MGM characters.

Generally, I don't discuss politics outside of my family members, but I get the idea. (To break my usual form, I find myself not really caring who is elected president this year. It's all literally choosing the lesser of several evils.) This cartoon has to do with the oil demand and issue.



You know... we never hear about the Tin Woodman refilling or getting a new oil can (given that the decorated one described in The Marvelous Land of Oz was just ornamental)... In Oz, do oil cans never empty?

2 comments:

Asterite said...

Ahahahaha!!! That's luvvly. :D

Nathan said...

There are precedents in the series for things that never run out (Dr. Pipt's bread and cheese, Jinnicky's water bottle and cookie jar, the Ozcream containers in LUCKY BUCKY, etc.), but I don't know how common they are. I think it's more likely that Nick gets his oil offstage. I'm not sure what the source is, but there's actually a lake of oil in a manuscript I'm working on, and Gina Wickwar's TOTO includes the oil-based island of Grease.