Saturday, March 08, 2008

Oz Comics up the Wazoo!

Okay... Let's check on the Comic Book side of Oz...

Recently, we heard that the "Dark Oz" comic book series has been optioned and all but greenlit for production as a movie. (Weird, the story of the movie sounds NOTHING like the comics.)

Eric Shanower is writing Marvel Comics' adaptation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, to be drawn by Skottie Young, this will be an 8-issue part of the "Marvel Illustrated" line. So far, we've gotten to see an wonderful preview of Dorothy and Toto:


Here is a link to an interview with Shanower and Young. (LINK)

Last night, I re-read Captain Carrot & His Amazing Zoo Crew: The Oz-Wonderland War. QUITE a fun read... Though those covers are very decietful. Huh, is there a good page on this? 1 sec while I check... Nope, nothing worth linking to.

With all this, I began to realize we've heard nothing new from Illusive Arts and their Dorothy fumetti-style series for awhile...

I've also been unsuccessful in finding a copy of the Judge Dredd "Oz" story arc, even though it seems to be minimally connected to Oz.

Oh, and thanks to IWOC Forum member Vovat (I know his real name, but I'm not authorized to drop it) for turning up this piece of artwork for (presumably) the front cover of the first issue of The Land of Oz: The Manga by David Hutchinson...


Land of Oz: the Manga by *Dhutchison on deviantART

Wow... So this year, we have two new Oz adaptations in comics that are sure to be great! Now to head over to Vintage Stock and try to make them act like a REAL comic shop!

And now to top it off with this ORIGINAL Oz comic panel by Sam Milazzo, inspired by my use of a certain quote from The Dukes of Hazzard TV show:

1 comment:

Nathan said...

I'm VoVat on the message board, and I can assure you that I wasn't the one who found the manga cover.

I do have the Captain Carrot comic set, and I actually think it might have been better if they'd done the Oz/Wonderland crossover without including the Captain Carrot characters. Oh, well. It was still a fun read.