Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Bridge to... Oz?

Today, I put in The Bridge To Terebithia. Sam Antony Milazzo informed me it featured Zooey Deschanel, who will be in the SciFi Channel's upcoming miniseries Tin Man, their modern re-imagining of Oz, as DG: Dorothy Gale.

I wasn't sure who she played at first, so I paused the movie and looked up "Terebithia" on IMDb. To my surprise, I discovered there had also been a 1985 TV movie of the story. (I knew it was based on a book...)

I checked the cast list for the new movie. Zooey Deschanel played Mrs. Edmunds, the music teacher.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the entry for the TV movie, and lo and behold, Annette O'Toole had played Mrs. Edmonds (they had the name with an "o" instead of a "u" here, but I figure it is the same character).

The OZ connection? I already mentioned Tin Man, but Annette O'Toole played Maud Gage Baum in the 1990 TV movie, The Dreamer of Oz.

Weird huh? Two movies based on the same story had actresses who would be in future Oz movies or TV shows in the same role!

Okay, okay. Not too big, but I figured you may be interested.

No comments: